Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lazy Sunday Movie: Exorcist: The Beginning



I watched Exorcist: The Beginning this weekend with my two best friends. Or rather, I fast-forwarded through the scary parts of this movie last Sunday with my friends. They aren't the biggest fans of scary movies, but I talked them into watching this one.

This prequel to the original Exorcist focuses on Father Merrin. If you've seen the original you know he's the older priest who helps exorcise Reagan. They mention in the original that he had an incident with evil in Africa many years ago. Well this movie is that story.

It starts in Africa with Merrin as an archaeologist. Apparently, he was a priest, but has turned his back on his faith. You find out later in the movie why. This is a great movie about archaeology, religion, faith, and history. As you can guess, Merrin finds his faith and vanquishes evil. Logical conclusion since he's in the original. But don't worry, I haven't given the movie away. Be aware though, this is not for the faint of heart. I was jumping at points (along with my very scared friends) and I've seen this before.
If you're a fan of the original, and possibly the numerous sequels, you'll enjoy this addition to the storyline.

Here's the soundtrack of the movie for your enjoyment.


***Note: I know it's not Sunday, but I was out of town last weekend. This week's Sunday movie will be posted on time.***

3 comments:

Christine said...

I'm actually still scared. No more talking me into watching any of the Exorcist movies. Ever. Puh-lease!

Jess - A Book Hoarder said...

I want to watch this movie but I am such a wimp I don't know if I will be able to handle it...we will see.

SpiritPhoenix said...

Chris - I'm sure I'll get you to watch another scary movie one day. Especially if we watch it on fast forward again. ;)

Jess - It's not too bad if you watch with the lights on and someone home. Plus if you get really freaked, just watch something funny afterwards to take your mind off it. Honestly I find some books creepier (Shining anyone?)