Thursday, April 22, 2010

Crocs + A Sleeping Foot.= Accident Waiting to Happen


Okay so a few summers ago. Back when Crocs were fashionable. I know, I know. Scary thought. But anywho, it was the off-time in my office, so not many people were subjected to my awful fashion trend.

So, I go in to work and am checking my email with my legs crossed. I'm in there about a half hour or so. Then my boss is free. So I stand up to go see her. I figure, sure my foot is asleep but I've had no worries walking on it before. No worries right?

Wrong.

I ended up tripping over my foot. I heard a pop and flew out of my office.

My poor boss hears me yell and looks up to see me fall out of my office. Yes. Fall out of my office.

Of course, she and the other secretary come running to see me. I'm fine. My ankle is a bit sore, but not too bad. Not broken or anything. Which was a relief.

After about 10 minutes I decide to walk to the nearby pharmacy. While walking (in the rain mind you) I'm thinking to myself. Man oh man. My ankle's starting to stiffen up and it's starting to really hurt. (Dur. you just flew out of your office woman.)

I walk in to the pharmacy to get an ace bandage and a heat compress. As soon as I get up to the counter to pay I take a moment to look down at my ankle. It's the size of half a grapefruit. I, being the wimp I am, start to feel like I'm going to pass out. So I sit down next to the counter and breathe.

It's taken 3 years to get my ankle back to looking like normal.

Moral of the story. Don't wear crocs. But if you do, take it from me, don't walk in them with a foot that's asleep.

6 comments:

Sara Strand said...

Dude- crocs are deadly. My foot stuck to my kitchen floor and I fell into my stove.

mxtodis123 said...

Oh, you sound so much like me. My hubby once bought me a pair of sneakers and the toe part came up a little. I wasn't used to walking in them. That day I had a training in downtown Brooklyn. It's 8 am in the morning and come upstairs and walk outside of the train station and down I go...sprawled out on the sidewalk. Everyone was in shock. I jumped up, brushed myself off, and went to the training...trying to act like nothing had happened. My knee was all skinned up and my ankle, by the end of the day, was like a baseball.
Mary

Jess - A Book Hoarder said...

Okay, this is totally something I would do!! I was a server and wore crocs (well fake ones that didn't have holes) and I was so lucky that I never lost an entire tray. I quickly retired them. Aren't crocs supposed to be safer because they don't slip? Apparently that is lost on the clumsy.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy I never buckled to that trend. I think they are absolutely adorable on children's feet, but they look like nurses shoes on adults.

C said...

i do so love my crocs which happen to be shocking pink........it had never crossed my mind that they were another one of those terrible fashion trends lol i think i will stick to gardening in them but thanks for the warning :) hope ankle is well and truly on mend x

Anonymous said...

My ex-hubby once ran in Crocs in the rain, resulting in a slip, fall, and dislocated shoulder. Ow!