Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Picture of Dorian Grey

So, I just discovered that my library has audio books. Not just the cd kind either. I can now download them directly to my phone. Of course, that made me remember my 2010 Book Challenge. Yes, I'm still on it. I was bad and only read one book on my list that year. Ugh. I did read, just nothing on that list.

Here goes. I decided to start with The Picture of Dorian Grey.

I've tried to read this so many times, but like Dracula I just couldn't get into it. All the descriptions and old timey language just stopped me cold. But having someone read it to me. I just have to open my ears and pay attention. Or space out on the boring parts.

I have to say that I sorta enjoyed this book. I liked it more than Dracula. Ugh. That book dragged on and on and on and on.

This one was really only a little dull during the middle. When Dorian was talking about what he did after he discovered that he wouldn't age. There was this section of all these gemstones and tapestries and clothing and such. It was his materialistic phase I guess. Just kept thinking....come on get back to the good stuff. Some dialogue even.

The whole Faustian idea of the book really made me think. What if someone could really stay young forever and their picture aged. I don't know that the soul would really get ugly from doing something horrible. How many serial killers do we see that are handsome and charming? Granted this came out long ago. I guess though that their souls are probably as hideous as Dorian's picture. It would be an interesting situation. Since no one really knows what a soul looks like.

Hmmm.....philosophical discussions may take place in my household now.

And I have to see the movie that came out a few years ago with Colin Firth as Lord Henry (I think). 

No comments: